Tuesday Overcast

The early dawning morning is overcast but clear, with a promise of rain. There are travel advisories on the highways for freezing rain. Freezing rain is one of those conditions that is just difficult to argue with! My grandson is kneeling on the loveseat, looking outside at the dogs and horses he sees out there. He is leaning his head on his arm, waiting patiently for his friend to come. His little buddy is coming for the day today, to be babysat. My busy daughter takes such good care of people- her baby boy, the children she provides nanny services for, her friends' children- whoever has a need that her compassionate heart can meet. She makes me so proud to be her momma.
Over the years, I have been eager to watch how my children's character would develop. When they were very little, it was a priority for me. I remember feeling that it was important for them to learn that character was something they could rely on, not looks or 'unchangeables' in their lives, the hand they had been dealt. For example, my little girls were definitely very pretty little girls. No argument! But the message I wanted them to hear was that they were full of joy or obedient or diligent or taking initiative. My sons, while being cute, would hear words that encouraged a job well done or cheerful attitudes within assigned tasks. These are examples of encouraging character. Now that most of them are adults, I wonder how these messages have taken root? I watch as they interact with others and I see them feel comfort with people of all ages. I notice that they have varying levels of confidence, which may have something to do with their personalities. I notice that they are good workers, taking pride in a job well done. They work hard for people, giving their all. They are all well liked among their peers and co-workers. Sensitivity to others' feelings and compassion are evident as is taking criticism or direction. They really do make me proud!
Messages all around us tell us that we should rely on our looks or our body to get what we need. We see on TV after 10 PM, young women prostituting themselves through the phone. Those are someone's daughter, someone's sister! We have TV and movies that push the boundaries of decency, pushing our comfort levels down further, exposing our spirits that were meant to protect us from this discomfort. Too many examples for right here, but along the same lines, I think of how we have raised our family. We want this generation to understand their personal value. Women understand that they are equal to men- generations have worked toward it. But at what cost? I am pretty sure I am not equal in any way except value- I have many attributes I hope my husband and sons do not have and many they have I do not wish for at all. My passions in life are about protecting life at every stage. This may come fromt hat deep place, the understanding that my responsibility in life has been to be a Lifegiver. In the culture around here, our First Nations women were once given this important name. Men were Warriors, protecting the women and children and elders from influences that would be harmful to the order of the family. We are missing the boat! These are also Biblical principles, yet we find arguments out there, chipping away at our very heart, taking this away bit by bit! How do we get back to the value of who we were meant to be, the value of our character rather than our bodies?
Is there a character or virtue you wish to develop? Is there a character you wish you had or want to encourage in yoru children? Do you have any thoughts on this? I would love to hear it. it is an overcast Tuesday. There is plenty of time here to contemplate and think and refocus while I take care of my day to day chores. I will find value in my attitudes, in the tasks I accomplish and the things I do for others this day. Your comments are appreciated and valued!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder