Friday!

Here we are, Friday already! What a week! I can't believe it has been 3 days since I last wrote here! The man and the boy were away and I thought I would accomplish so much here at home- but instead, there was a lot of work and an attempted birth. There goes the whole week! So, you are reading here and there it is- attempted birth!
I have been very aware this week of how our bodies are designed. Once again, I prepare my heart and mind for the miracle of birth, if that is even possible. I have contemplated the knitting and crocheting of that little body, the interconnection with it's momma. I have felt joy as I read of others who are taking sweet joy from their own body's knitting! But today, I think of one little momma in particular. I have come to recognize this week how much stress and fatigue play a huge role in our lives. In this case, they seem to be putting a body into early labour! She has lots of intense contractions, they are doing work, but the body is not yet ready to give up this little baby. I am thinking that it is my responsibility as doula to help her manage the stress and tiredness prior to this birth, to make the time of birth itself a sanctuary and place or refuge. I can't change her circumstances, but I can still 'mother the mother'.
There have been so many examples this week, times when I can't actually make the difference needed to change a circumstance, but can certainly be a listening ear and wide shoulder. My heart has a large capacity for holding things that others lay on it. Guess that is where the compassion comes into play. Not always being able to change the circumstances doesn't bother me much anymore. Used to be I felt that was my responsibility as much as knowing the issue. Nice to know that is not what compassion is all about!
So, in this day, in this way, I will use that gift of compassion the way it is designed. My merciful God has given me so much that I don't deserve- without strings attached. He has just loved me! I am challenged to pass it on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder