Whiling Away Wednesday

There have been no new posts for several days. This was pointed out by my man last night- and I started to think about what and about why! I have not been sitting here typing while my lovely girl has been home, rather wanting to spend that time with her. We had a lovely time together, wringing the most out of every minute. Our weekend was spent out in Prince Rupert with the little sister. Rain, lots of it, but time at the pool, at the bookstore and at the house made the time work out just fine. One thing, though--never enough!
On our drive west, we noted the huge number of eagles and seagulls. Paired up with the high number of cars parked along the side of the Skeena, we decided the oolichans must be running. I wonder if this is a good year? This picture is from the oolichan camp in the Nass Valley last year. Our 12 year old loves these little candle fish- he brings enough home to smoke in our smoker. He gives a nice amount to his mom and takes them to school to share with his friends. In terms of traditional foods, this is one the ones I have had over the years. When my dad worked for the United Grain Growers in Vancouver in the 60's, he would bring home enough for a great feed every year. We would dredge them in flour and fry them in a pan, served with potatoes and vegetables. Now, we live in an area where they are smoked, frozen and valued for their oil. The oil, when rendered clean, has no fishy smell and is used like olive oil. It has apparent healing properties that are valued and used widely.
Last week, I spent time looking into the value of Vitamin D. I looked for food sources, thinking about the fact that we should be able to find all that we need in our local foods, all we need to stay healthy. Over the years, I have had discussions with friends about how we have been designed, how we crave foods that we need at certain times of the year, foods that heal and keep us healthy. Examples of this would be root vegetables that are high in Vitamin A, foods that keep well over the winter, when we need more of this particular vitamin for our health. Where I live, there is not a sufficient amount of UV in our sunlight from September to May to release it through our skin. This vitamin that we need for immunity and bone health is most readily available in quantities that our bodies need in salmon. Salmon has the highest food values of D of any food. I know we get it in foods that are enriched, such as milk, but in foods that have it naturally, this is the best option by at least 400% over the next food. I know that people are designed to live where they do--in terms of aboriginal people. We can learn so much from the traditions, traditional foods and sources and uses. I just find this so incredibly interesting.
We have been designed so well, the intricacies of our design is becoming more and more interesting as I find out more and more, the Wisdom of the One Who made us! People are remarkable creatures! I have more mommas to support in the next months. I know that this is a gift to me, a gift to remind me of the value of life, the miracle that each and every one of us is. We are all so well designed, with detail given to where we live, the foods necessary to sustain us well, the ways we can maintain our health all available right around us, if we care to pay attention.
For this, I am so thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder