Called By Our Name

In speaking with some new parents, I asked if they knew the meaning of their son's name. No, not yet. With each of the babies I witness come into the world, I prepare a birth story just for them. At the beginning of their story, I add the meaning of the chosen names. Our names and their meanings hold power, for better or worse. I have noticed that each of my children's names seem to fit them well- who knew?
God calls us by a name He has chosen for us, one He only knows, deep in our spirits. He knows us most intimately, most deeply and most personally, because he created us. We are called by a name by He Who loves us most.
Choosing a name for our children is a privilege. Whether the name means Wise One or Pure, Youthful or Virtuous, Poet or Angel, Lightbearer, Beloved, Peaceful or any other trait, we can be grateful. We can watch them grow, teaching them to know deeply that we have called them by their name and know them intimately because they were created from us.
This mystery is one I ponder from time to time, with gratitude for the One Who called me by my heart's forgotten name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder