Random Trains Of Thought

Today, I will borrow Holly's title from her blog http://starlithome.blogspot.com. We put the 12 year old on the train to Prince Rupert today--a gift from his sister, the Chef. At Christmas, she gave him a Gift Certificate for a round trip train ticket, a few days at her house, including swimming, a movie, dinner out and plain old big sister time. What a GREAT gift!
Getting ready for a trip that has been waiting for 3 months is tough- it takes a huge amount of patience on the part of the recipient! Today, he cleaned his room, prepared his luggage, took a skateboard and helmet and generally had a hurry up and wait kind of day as he waited for the train to leave at 3:37 this afternoon. Typical to our family, we arrived at the train about 15 minutes early to avoid surprises. We waited. We waited some more. My man went out calling, "Here kitty kitty" and brought in some pussy willows. We waited some more. The 12 year old played, splashed in puddles, found sticks to throw and looked, watched and wondered. At 4:35, we finally caught sight of the long awaited train. He left the stop at 4:48, an hour and ten minutes late. So much for setting your watch by the train!
He has the most beautiful trip--through the mountains, along the Skeena River, past petroglyphs and rapids, sights like eagles and oolichans to be had. He has a great dinner packed--a moose roast sandwich with cream cheese on a ciabatta. I packed him trail mix, granola bars, pudding, yogurt and fruit along with his water. He shouldn't starve! And me? I guess I finally get to try out the empty nest, see how it feels! We will pick him back up on Wednesday at noon, so I can really get used to how it may feel! I do remember when my kids were little, thinking I would have no problem with the emptying nest, but now, I know for sure my life has been poured into being a mom. I love the role! I am missing those who have moved far away and feeling like I am isolated from them. One has started into a significant relationship and I have not even met the important person in their life!
Well, to start out the empty nest idea, I am serving baked potatoes, moose steak and asparagus. It is ready now, so in gratitude, off I go!

Comments

  1. errr, when the time is right, uhh the time will be right...good for mikey! sounds really fun...I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Wednesday's Wonder

Christmas Eve