Peaceful Endings to Busy Days

One of those days. I think I am saying this more often, it is just one of those days. Today, we found out it is going to cost a huge amount of money to get our water up and running again. This is always disappointing, finding out you have to spend big money for ANYTHING unexpected. However, the well pump is also 26 years old, so it doesn't owe the world--or our family--much of anything at all. It's just that we have been trying like crazy to SAVE!! We want to go on our first big trip, my man and I. We have a dream to be in Ireland for my half-century birthday this summer--and we seem to get further behind on this dream as the days go by. *Sigh*
But this was one of those days. A day where once again I am struck by the things that others teach me when I didn't know I had something to learn. A day where I am struck by the resiliency of the young parents I work with. A day where those I work with have so much to share that I am once again in awe. And I am grateful! When people share stories of where they have come from, tough addictions, abuse and narrow views, I am always struck by the candour and trust they have in those with whom they share. I value this sharing, this trust. And I am afraid I don't always have the answer, but I am also fairly sure that is not the point. I think that having the answer is not what people look for when they share from the heart, more that they want to be heard and want to be validated. One of our parents today said that they like coming to this place, this calm and caring place where their opinions are valued, where they are listened to and even sometimes agreed with. I love to hear that, it is what we strive for! I also love to say to "my moms" to trust their guts, that guts tell them important things when it comes to raising their own babies, to caring for them and growing them. We have a remarkable limbic system, that deep place in our 'primitive' brain that is where our instincts lie. This is that place where our emotions grow from, where our values are formed, where we learn who to trust and how to trust. This deep place is also where we nurture our children, where we have the instincts necessary to grow our own offspring. It is also within this deep place that we are often most deeply damaged. I think it is that place we most want to reach in others, that place that needs to be cared for, to be nurtured, to love. and when I am a doula, this is the place I minister to.
So, in my day to day life, when I think again it is one of those days, I am grateful that I can make a difference, however small, to one person. That is all that matters, to make one difference to one person, a difference that may make a difference to one, or a couple or a whole family or generation. I need to be mindful of this as I work with people, minister to needs or spend time with my family, those I love the most.
Yes, I am grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Wednesday's Wonder

Christmas Eve