Sunny Saturday

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy! We know spring has arrived--dandelions are starting to grow, robins are eating worms and the days are WARM! Nights are still cold, often below zero yet. Everyone feels more alive, happier and motivated.
This morning, sheets washed and dried, laundry caught up and the 12 year old taking care of his duties, I played with some dirt, repotting one aloe vera into 3 pots. I realized that before long--just after Mothers' Day, to be exact- I will be playing in the dirt outside, planting annuals and brightening up our home. The snow is almost gone and the yard is throwing up items long lost and forgotten. Garbage and detritus that have been carted around by our favourite four legged creature is making its way to the surface, a blight to be cleared before the brown lawn turns green. The swing for our grandson will once again be mounted on the deck and his big toys will be played with, slides and climbing frames, cars to drive and deck to run on. He is loving puddles, telling me about his gum boots and how he can splash. Sometimes being a grown up is just not fun at all, so it seems! I have lost the desire to jump in puddles and can't even fit into gumboots, so I guess it would have to be barefooted if I did it at all. I do know, however, that before long, I won't need puddles but will need paddles! The lakes will be ready for our boats to be launched and once again, we can find our rest and relaxation out where we truly belong!
I haven't posted often this week. It has been a good week, just super busy. On Tuesday, I am so glad I was able to take the time to spend that day with a friend. Very early on Wednesday morning, I was called out to a birth. As I drove the 150 Km, I marveled at the moon hiding behind small clouds, the night sky freckled with stars.The day was spent in another town with a hard working momma and her loving partner. Family and friends came and went, support all around. We celebrated the birth day of her new son among this great crowd, everyone excited to meet the newest member. Does anyone wonder why I do what I do? I drove home very early the next morning, adrenaline pumping through my veins, providing me with more clarity for the road than a strong coffee could have done. That, combined with prayers for safety, meant I made it home safe and sound from yet another amazing day of watching the hand of God at work.
I made it through the next day at work shorthanded for staff, yet relaxed and enjoying our program. We provided reports and paperwork, support and encouragement, food and friendship for those who came through our doors. But when I got home from my 8 hour day, I slept hard for a couple of hours after a delicious meal made by my considerate man.
Yesterday was an emotionally tough day for very different reasons, but God was once again at work, providing for us before we even knew what to ask for. We were able to end the day in celebration for a birthday of a good friend, celebrating her turning the corner into the second half of a century. I will follow not long from now!! What fun, eating and drinking and laughing and enjoying friends and fellowship. When it was finally time to come home, I was so refreshed and relaxed and revived! We drove home, talking quietly, refocused and taking time to enjoy each other.
Being a doula is about providing continuous support for the labouring woman and her family. I am grateful for the continuous support I receive from my own family, showing me how much they value this calling of mine. I know how difficult it is, sometimes not seeing me for a whole 24 hour period or more, but they recognize this need to fulfill what is in my heart and I am so grateful for that.
Signs of spring, new life, warmth and anticipation for what is to come. I am so thankful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder