Unexpectations

Leaving expectations behind, ignoring them altogether. We are learning to just be, learning the importance of accepting what is rather than what could be. This is a difficult journey. it is a way of thinking, a way of disciplining the mind out of traditional ways of thinking into a new ideal. And I have to say, it is not easy, but the rewards are worth it.
Ever live with someone who is in a constant state of anxiety or frustration or tension? It causes everyone around to pick up on it and creates permanent conflict within the whole family. When someone has constant anxiety and frustration and tension, something is always bothering them. They end up with a short fuse--a very short fuse. It takes very little to make them 'blow'. At that point, the whole group, family, team, classroom, reaps the benefits of the blast. We have been learning to deal with one who lives this way.
Yesterday afternoon, it was a lovely afternoon- warm, sunny, just inviting! After school, after band, the outdoors was just calling to the one who loves just being. It called strongly enough for that one to commune in that natural place for hours. I whistled. I called. I finally ignored and let it be. When dusk was falling, I gave one last call with the demand to return. Being outdoors was so important that dinner was missed and bedtime was immediate, with no resistance or complaint. And I realized how important unexpectations are. To just lay it down, not let it be a problem, ensure safety and just let it be. I do wonder how this will pan out, but today, I will choose the unexpected.
Each day is a mystery and unexpected happens. Unexpected overnight snow, leaving me to wonder about the wisdom of changing seasonal tires today. Unexpected friendship. Unexpected grace! Unexpected tears of joy. Unexpected gratitude. Unexpected money in the mail! I am putting on this new hat. Perhaps not in every area of my life, because I do value goals and planning and order. But this one thing I will remind myself, that people are unexpected. We don't know how they think, how they tick even when we work to find out. They are unexpected. And in that very part of who they are, they speak to us and demand us to listen. I am listening, with gratitude for who they are!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder