Official News

OK, it's official--I have completed this leg of my journey. Last year, I promised myself that I would complete some tasks relating to dreams I have held for a long time. Long ago, I realized that working with women was a passion of mine. Just what that looked like, I wasn't sure of, but was happy to watch the definition of it take shape. We created camping experiences for young women, teaching them about themselves, about life and about the Word of God. We purposed to have these young women learn about their own worth through the eyes of their Creator. After we were no longer having camps, I found employment that continued on this way of thinking, facilitated my personal passion. Somewhere along the way, birth itself became a passion.
The first birth I attended as a friend  and support was 15 years ago. It sparked an interest, perhaps even a calling. Normal, natural birth, the support of women, wisdom passed down and taught well. As much as 10 years ago, this started to take a different shape, one I never knew existed. When I first took doula training, I had no idea where it would lead. The idea of it was fairly new to me, but struck a chord deep inside. I started to read books, study the information, thirsted after wisdom passed down. Ina May Gaskin started to invade my thoughts and feed my deepest understanding.
My reading has become wider, my thoughts have become open to others' teaching- Odent, Kitzinger, Buckley, Bergman- and yet, the recurring theme is wisdom, that which is passed down from generation to generation. My own daughters have taught me the importance of this information too, now starting into the next generation. I have been taught by amazing women, those whom I consider friends, mentors, and, most of all, wise. I know that I can, with confidence, encourage others to contact them for the same consistent and evidence based information.
So, during my illness last year, I decided to become qualified. I purposed to put the paperwork together for my doula certification through DONA- and it was completed in December 2010 and I was certified 3 weeks ago. I have been teaching child birth classes for 9 years and, with wisdom and guidance from one of those women I mentioned, I chose to certify with Lamaze. Lamaze has such good practices, guided by great research which proves itself in evidence based. Their purpose is to promote normal birth- how can that go wrong? The six healthy birth practices have been vetted by the World Health Organization as mother-friendly, which is what any woman-centred organization would hope to achieve. I am proud to say I took the Lamaze Certification exam today and feel like I aced it! For me, 150 questions sure felt intimidating. But my man reminded me that I was born for this, that it is who I am, not simply what I do--and I took his words in with me. The encouragement went such a long ways! I will wait for the official word in June, but today, I feel so good!
The rest of this journey includes the plan to become a doula trainer. I love teaching adults and really love watching women becoming empowered, tapping in to their innate sense of self, that part which makes them uniquely woman.
So, it is with gratitude and thankfulness that todays post comes, straight from my heart.

Comments

  1. There is no one more deserving of success and joy. You have brought so much to your work and life and to the lives of those you touch. i am honoured to have met you.
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Aunty Judi!! SO happy and proud for you! :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Eve

Weekend Wanderings

Two More Sleeps