Busyness for the sake of busyness

I have a shadow. Not a five o'clock shadow--well, sometimes, but that is not what I am referring to! I have a shadow and the sun is not out. I have a shadow this week, watching how I do WHAT I do. This is new for me and a joy!! She is wondering if she will choose a career path that takes her into the world of babies, whether as a doula, as a midwife or a nurse or in what capacity. Since my choices kind of encompass much of those things, she is hanging out with me. Today, though I tried to be busy, to show her what kinds of things I do, I just could not. It was a quiet day in the clinic, a day where it was an opportunity to read and study, to type and prepare rather than visit and support. Not that we didn't, just much less than usual.
I have a busy week planned, to show her a good time in the world of mother and baby support. Tomorrow, we will have the first of two breastfeeding classes that I will teach for nurses and others in the community. Today, we had a perinatal committee meeting, discussing how the hospital and its programs can support childbearing women. We discussed some awesome topics, lots for my shadow to digest, I am sure! On Thursday, she will hang out at our program--how fun is that? But best of all, we will have a birthing preparation class on Saturday. Best of all because, at the crux of all I do, this is the heart, the starting place, that place where everything we know to be right and true is imparted in some way to the families I work with. It is also from this place my someday book will come.
So, busy for the sake of being busy comes with a price, a responsibility--but what a joy! I am so grateful for all I have been given, the ways I am able to spend my time! Along with it, I have been certified as a birth doula, so now, I will sign my name differently, add some letters to my signature! Gratitude wells up from within, thank you to so many of you who have been part of this journey so far--I look forward to how it will continue!!

Comments

  1. Awesome! I'm sure she's picking up lots of good stuff:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder