Marvelous!

~Today is Monday. Monday I post my gratitude! How lovely to start the week this way! It puts my mind in a place where I am focused on the positive and the negative seems to dissipate, to slink away, to evaporate! Being a linear thinker, I enjoy when something is spelled out well, given to me in a systematic manner in which I feel compelled to understand and then comply. This is true for the book of Romans in the Bible. I love all of the Bible, it reaches deep within my spirit in a way that nothing else can, but this particular book I find so compelling. If someone asked my what my favourite Scriptures were, I think I would have to point out this set of 'God's Little Instructions'. Recently I was having a conversation with my #1 Son- who was telling me about a book that is impacting him, challenging him to contemplate his own integrity. I love that! I love the challenge! And then my man was discussing with me the different leadership styles he has become very intimate with and how they impact those around- and I got to thinking. If we don't have a moral compass, a reason or principle to follow, it is just hollow. So, for me, these verses hold some very powerful messages that I guess I would say have become points on my moral compass. There are other Biblical principles that I follow--the whole Book holds so so much--but these are pretty succinct, so I thought I would share them before I continue with my list of thankfulness!
Romans 12: 9-10Love from the center of who you are; don't fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.
 11-13Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant. Don't quit in hard times; pray all the harder. Help needy Christians; be inventive in hospitality.
 14-16Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they're happy; share tears when they're down. Get along with each other; don't be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don't be the great somebody.
 17-19Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it."
 20-21Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.
I really do like the way Eugene Peterson has translated the Bible in today's language, with today's nuances and ways of thinking that make such sense to me. He is prosaic in his writing and, if you have read much of what I like to read, you would find out that this style appeals to me. I have read some of his other writings and have read his protege Mark Buchanan's work, with this poetic train of thought working it's way deep into my spirit. So, with this in mind, I start off my pretty busy week, which is to be followed by a VERY busy week, with this list:
~signs of spring, in light warm snow, in birds searching for worms, in misty rain, gumboots drying and jackets shucked in favour of hoodies.
~Friends who insist on helping us see a better way; the way to accept our children for who they are, to accept what life has to offer, to accept help in times of need, to accept that we are loved and need to love.
~a protege who would like to wander behind this very limited mentor, who wants more wisdom than I may have, that I would be open to how the Spirit leads me, to teach from within, to understand needs and meet what I can.
~the opportunity to sharpen skills in mothering the mother, in teaching new parents and to pass on what I have learned with humility and the best of intentions.
~an amazing vocation in which I am able to practice what I believe in a deep and intimate way with those I hold dearest in the world
~my grandson who continues to teach us so much from day to day, while he is pulled around by circumstances that are out of his control, that he remains lovely and responsive and secure.
~each of my children: the 12 year old who loves to be loved, the chef-daughter, who is so creative and so gifted in organizing, that she likes things to predictable and manageable, the momma-daughter, who is already a wise mother and so strong and courageous, the nurturer-daughter, for work that she loves and a man who cares deeply for and takes good care of her, for my man-child, that he loves challenges to his integrity and follows his heart.
I have no idea why this line keeps showing up, so I will just accept it there. Perhaps today I needed a line drawn, to contain my thoughts and put a different purpose within the words. I do know this, I have an amazing family and a wonderful, purpose-driven life. I am grateful for each day that I have to share it, to enjoy people, to love more deeply and to walk humbly with my God.

Comments

  1. Wonderful! I like reading those verses (and others) in the Message. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, yo are there for me (even when you aren't). I love you and thank you for sharing your thoughts! They have helped me today to remember what I need to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder