Cheesy Chowder--A Favourite!

We had a wonderful family dinner last night. We were quietly celebrating the last family meal that my man will have as a "Bachelor"--next time he eats with us, he will be a "Master". I am excited for him! We had moose steak, with baked potatoes and a cauliflower-broccoli mix with cheese sauce. We love what the leftovers of this meal become and because of that, I like to make too much!
This morning I took ham out of the freezer so that tonight it would become:
Cheesy Chowder
3 c. cauliflower and broccoli flowerettes
1/2 c chicken stock powder (MSG-free)
2 c. water
Steam together in a 3 litre pot. While you are steaming this, prepare a roux in a 2 litre pot:
1/2 c. butter- Melt this then add
1/2 c. flour- stir it into the melted butter until very smooth. Add:
2 c. 1% milk and 2 c. water-stir until smooth and starting to thincken, over medium heat. When it starts to thicken, add:
2 c. grated cheddar and stir until smooth. Add the cheese sauce to the steamed vegetables. Adjust the thickness by adding water if you choose. You can also add: 2 c. chopped ham
leftover baked potatoes, cubed (this is delish!!)
This should feed about 6 people, along with some nice steaming fresh bread or perhaps some tart sized quiches?
I enjoy feeding people, especially my family. I like to cook, love to feed people, but some days, I just have no imagination! My daughter started a meal this week, this helped so very much! My man does that as well, from time to time--and has promised to do more of it starting next week!! My week will be busy and I will need meal time support, so I sure will welcome it!
What do you do when you have no imagination or time or are limited in some way? What do you find works? I am not sure how women who work full time do it--and I sure am glad that is not me!! I find being who I am is a full time job, that is enough for me!
Today I had opportunity again to feel very humbled, very special. One of the mommas I supported in the last bit gave me a card and a picture of her little baby, along with a lovely bracelet which she graced me with, telling me the beads on it were to remind both of us of all the special times on our 12 year journey together. I will treasure this and my heart will remain grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder