New Years Eve Eve

Music in the background, all is quiet in the house. I have taken apart my desk to tidy and organize it- but got distracted by the computer calling me, beckoning from it's lonely corner. I have a great cup of coffee and have scrolled through happenings with friends. So, here I sit, ready for my new post.
My mind has been filled with doula things- practice, business, marketing and making sure it is kept close to the heart. I want to be professional, but not to the point of losing the purpose of doing what I do! There is a balance to be found. This way of thinking spills over into other areas of my life. When I read any of the midwifery writings, they all speak of keeping 'open', meaning to allow the physical needs mingle with the emotional and spiritual aspects of birth. This is so appropriate to relationships. Last night, I spent a marathon of time on the phone with my brother with the pastoral heart. He has a similar yet so different perspective on family and relationships to me. We feel so similar about things, yet see so differently in many aspects. Put it down to gender, family placement, calling, but perspective is so interesting! It doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right- both can be right, but different! I love that! In all of my relationships, it is so important to understand the perspective of the other if I can or to respect it if I can't. I come from a large family, a diverse one. My siblings are all successful in their own areas, have found success in family, in business and in relationships- yet if you were to ask me about that, there would be many different stories. This family has taught me so many things about relationship, about personality and point of view. It has also taught me amazing things about commitment! I need to keep 'open' in my relationships, with my family, with my friends, with Andy, with my co-workers. I look forward to the things I will learn this year. I am not one for resolutions much. Just one more thing to disappoint myself in- but for sure, I like to take stock of how my life is doing and see if there are any areas I would like to re-focus or refine. I decided while I was sick last year that it was important to me not to take things for granted. Not people, not family, not life! Someday might not get here, so I want to keep short accounts. In this spirit, I also put some plans into place for myself, my passions over the next few years and how I would follow them. I have sent away all the paperwork needed to become certified as a doula. I am studying the Lamaze Study Guide in preparation for an exam in April to certify as a childbirth educator. These steps forward will not define who I am, but how I roll! I have been blessed to spend lots of time with my grandson, time that has come from a painful place, but time for which we are very grateful! I resolve that I would like to spend my time wisely, but not to take myself too seriously. I would love to hear people's perspectives on resolutions and have you share with me what is important to you. I wish for each of you God's richest blessings in 2011- and know how blessed we are to be able to share it together!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder