Contemplating What 1000 Means

Finishing Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts is leaving me with a profound sense of introspection. Her inspired words make me think about living fully, an abundant life. Please do take a moment to check out the link to this book--this way of life! Her book came from a heart full of fear, full of unresolved pain and now, through thankfulness, she is being transformed daily into a new way of being. Her shy, thoughtful, humble prose carries one through her journey, giving an opportunity for the transformation to become intensely personal.
When I started my cancer journey, the word that came to me for the journey was gratitude. I had not read any of A Holy Experience yet--and who knew that this word would become a gift to me. I became acquainted with this daily blog and joined her community of gratitude. So many who know me, so many who have followed me through my journey, have remarked on my positive attitude. They have noted that even when I was down about as far as I could go, thankfulness remained on my lips, in my heart. I purposed for that to be so, considering that I wanted it to be a living sacrifice. a legacy for my children and grandchildren. I am so grateful to have been healed from cancer, to come through it with such health. But I think that, even if I had not, I would still feel this way--that I am so grateful for what I went through, for the disease itself and all I had a chance to learn, perhaps before it was too late. Right from the start of the journey, I let people know I wanted to think of positive things. Fro some, it meant cutting some conversations short, reminding the other to consider turning their thoughts towards a more positive frame. For me, it meant bending and training my own mind to search after things that were true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report. I have not fully arrived and some days, I feel like I have gone one step forward and two steps back. This one thing I know, it will not be in vain! this habit, this training of the mind will bear fruit in its season. I am still wishing for the legacy to grow for my children and grandchildren.
I often read the obituaries in the weekend newspaper. Some would consider that morbid. I think of it as staying in touch! Part of it is to keep in touch with what is happening out there, but the other part is to take note of what has been said about people who have left families. Someday, I want my obituary to read that I have loved my family without holding back, that I have lived fully and that I laughed so often! I know for sure that I will not be able to fulfill any of that without a positive frame of mind, without a grateful heart. So today, as we in Canada consider the death of Jack Layton, his leadership, his impact and his final days with cancer, I want to continue to be introspective. I want to be truly living a full life, not to be faking it or saying anything that is not sincere.
And I will be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Wednesday's Wonder

Christmas Eve