Waiting on Weather

Prince Rupert. Gateway to the north, deep water port and west side of the coast mountains. As it sits in its place, jewel of the north Pacific, mouth of the Skeena River, we know that it gives as good as it gets. It is hit by storms, pelted by rain, green and lush, temperate and wild.
Today, I drove the 3 hour trip to this city. My destination was the North Pacific Seaplane base.

As i drove, the trip was interspersed with rain, wind, slush and lots of mist. Skeena, or the original name, K'san, means river of mist. Today, it was certainly this!


The mountains were shrouded in a low mist. The mist often gave way to rain, sometimes obscuring the road. Trains moved alongside, heading the same direction.
My purpose in heading to the seaplane base is to complete a trip to Kitkatla, where I have been asked to spend two days, teaching on FASD. One day is to provide professional development for educators, one more day with the community and health care providers. So far, I am at Eagle Bluff B&B. I was able to have lunch with my baby girl here in her city, but I will be spending this night in this blustery place. The wind is picking up speed, whipping the waves up in the harbour. This afternoon, it was so very beautiful, bright light in the foreground, black cloud as a counter point to the day.


This last picture is the view from my room, rain drops on the window.
I love winter storms. They make me think of my honeymoon, so very many years ago. December 1983, Tofino BC; Pacific Sands resort. Chesterman beach at its finest, Wickanninish Inn as a warm respite from where we could watch waves break up over the rocks. This B&B would be a nice place to be with my man.
Tomorrow, I will have 3 different planes to fly on. I will try to go--I have put a lot of effort into this workshop! I am quite excited to go to this tiny village. We have explored by kayak in Prince Rupert's harbour. We would like to see more of the west coast--so, I will see what Porcher Island has to offer! I am pretty excited and sure do hope to fly tomorrow.
So, no matter what happens, how this plays out, I will be happy for this little adventure and be grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder