Long Time, No....

New post! Yes, it has been 12 days since my last one. Or, as my man mentioned, I should give all his money back. OK, money back? But, point taken, here I am.
Tomorrow it is December. We have snow-lots of it-- and the world has an ethereal quality, where the skeleton trees have a generous coating of soft whiteness, bulking the bare branches with a downy layer for winter. The roads are atrocious, our driveway nearly impassable. But we drive for the weather and are used to taking a run at our slippery uphill all the way driveway.
December is also a month of memories. Good ones, such as a wedding that took place in 1983. That makes it 28 years! Other notable ones would be the birthdays of some important people- my son and my grandson. I have a couple nieces and a nephew in there, too, along with friends' children, friends' anniversaries, wonderful things like that. Traditions that are built and lived out, passed from one generation to another, around Christmas, Advent, music, Christian celebrations. So much to be excited about and thankful for!
This month has other memories as well, like two years ago when I found out I had breast cancer. We were, as it happens, celebrating our anniversary when we found out. The phone call that changed the course of our lives forever. Within 3 short weeks, we made decisions for surgery and adjunct therapies. The decisions were huge, difficult, but mostly built on hope--hope for the future, to grow old with the man I love, to meet my children's spouses and see them marry, to meet all my grandchildren and maybe even some great ones. And I have survived, quite nicely, I might add.
Here I sit, two years later, thankful for the hope that lies within me, for the journey towards a grateful heart. My vision has become more refractive, as I look through the lens of gratitude, working to dispel criticism and self-hatred. I have chosen to find thankfulness in every day, as a discipline and a spiritual practice. It is changing my life. I have found that stress is less available to me, that I have more inner peace and a consciousness of others as I seek to think with my heart and connect with kindness. This is not an easy road, since I have 50 years of bad habits to get rid of, but I am finding it a lovely journey, all the same. Working toward the goal of laying my crown at Jesus feet someday has become my focus and the strength. It flows over others as I minister in my calling. Love is the answer, the key to every door. I am learning more about love every single day, finding myself being taught by the most simple and the most profound.
December, I am ready for you and everything you bring. And today, this month, this life, I am so incredibly grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Wednesday's Wonder

Christmas Eve