Home is the Sailor, Home from the Sea

Today I will take you on a photo journey. Yesterday dawned a beautiful day and it became apparent I would fly out. I took a walk down the island and took pictures as a reminder of my beautiful adventure. Enjoy your trip!




Surrounded by other small islands, this one is unusual--there are no deer! There are, instead, wolves, creating a natural predator for what is often a real pest on other islands.

Anyone else see the irony here??


This is a great example of a nurse log--one laying its life down so many more can grow. Seems to me this is much of what my work is about-using others' stories, for better or worse, but definitely for the greater good!

This church was so pretty in the morning light. It is one of the first buildings one sees past the beach, but I was not able to portray that because of the position of the sun.
Dr Jane Smith says that education is like the salmon--it continues to feed the people and provide a livelihood. This is the school, where I provided the first day of the workshop. The next picture shows a close up of the entry way.


On the second day, this was our distracting and very lovely view from the band office.




The government dock, where the float plane docks- one of two public ways on or off the island


The plane leaves from here and taxis through the channel to the open water




And we are off!




Those pretty little clouds below us created a carnival ride--but not nearly as crazy as the flight down!


Prince Rupert from the air

Galloway Rapids--I was reminded that I often take a step back in situations, to get more information before making a decision or a judgement. Nothing like being in the air to see something from a different point of view and to find new places to paddle!

Butze Rapids in relation to Seal Cove
A floating fishing lodge, taking a rest after a busy season and preparing for the next one.

Circling for the splash down. In fact, this pilot was so good I hardly noticed when we contacted the water!



On the road, dreaming of home beyond the distant mountain. A day late, but full of satisfaction in my new adventure.
Robert Louis Stevenson wrote some of the great adventure stories of his time, Swiss Family Robinson being one of the best loved. His epitaph reads:
"Home is the sailor, home from the sea and the hunter is home from the hills." This week has been a new adventure for me, a chance to find new paddling spots, to share my passion for the birth of healthy babies and to find ways to support a community to be a healthier place. I am home now and could not be more grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder