Where Never Was Heard A Discouraging Word

We all speak in a language that is known best to us and our closest friends. If someone loves us, such as a husband or wife, they undoubtedly know us best and can speak a language to us that reflects that knowledge and wisdom. Many years ago now, Gary Chapman wrote the book "The Five Love Languages" and I think this knowledge of others, this 'inside scoop' has changed so many of my relationships. For instance, I know my husband's first or top language is Quality Time. I am speaking his language clearly when I sit down beside him with a cup of tea, ready to listen, ready to spend time with him at the centre of my world. He knows me best when he performs an Act of Service--speaking loudly to me through his actions rather than words. Very close to the top of both of our lists is Words of Encouragement. If we have an argument, both of us need to be very careful with how we choose our words. When we are just doing day to day things, we both find that being encouraged is like a cup of cold water on a hot summer day.
With Acts of Service at the top of my own list, it is interesting to me that I am also motivated by mercy. I want people to know they are supported, taken care of, loved. I speak through what I do even though that is also who I am. When someone knows me best, they also understand how true this is. We were encouraged when our children were just entering their teens to get to know them and how their list was in priority. I think for most of them, the languages that spoke most directly to them at that time have not changed. This helps me know them, even though we don't spend as much time together now as we used to.
So, today, imagine my thrill when someone with whom I have just begun to know well spoke to me in the language that means so much to me. I was encouraged to continue to practice as a doula with the encouragement given to me, speaking directly to Acts of Service, using Encouraging Words to let me know what I did well, what ministered most to her. I want to have my helping hands used to minister to women while they are labouring, while they take that journey to motherhood. What a privilege! What an honour!
So, on this day, I have been thinking of how I use my words and how I serve. I want to serve, to encourage and to walk in mercy. For being encouraged to do so, I am grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder