Long Way Around

Leaving in the afternoon, leaves aglow. Sun shining in a cloudy blue sky, covered up at times as a shower drips its way past. Afternoon gave way to evening and dinner plans with a lovely friend. Passions shared, great food eaten, on my way again. Dark now, the deer in the headlights was a very real incident! As I swerved, braked and used by horn, that stately buck hopped across the road after being frozen in place by my lights. Adrenalin pumping, the radio humming, thoughts made their way through my head, contemplating the love of Christ and how we share it. I know that the message of the gospel is one of peace, one of grace and that there is nothing we can do to earn it on our own. Witnessing a disturbing message on pickets near our high school had me thinking hard about my own response, how my own heart and spirit feel. One quick stop for a thank you gift and I was well on my way to visit my lovely niece and her family. Her new daughter, a birth shared, strength and purpose and excitement evident.
Waking refreshed, we visited a bit. That snuggly baby was so hard to let go, but soon, I was on my way again. Fog reminded me that it was Fall and soon, the rolling hills of the Chilcotin were in sight. Golden grasses in hues and shades highlighted the colours of the leaves. Reds, oranges and yellows against a backdrop of bright azure sky provided a sense of well-being as the journey peeled away beneath the tires. Music, laughter, news and thoughts continuing. Phone calls made and received, a stop here and there. Mostly, driving and driving. My car is comfortable and very good on fuel! Further down the province, groups of cattle created dust storms in the wind, while tumbleweeds rolled across the highway. The air was  lightly scented with sage, finishing its season. Rain encased my vehicle as I entered into the Fraser Canyon. Hills lined with ponderosa pine and spruce, grasses spattered in the storm. Sandy hills with brand new brooks running down their banks. Trains above, trucks ahead, hunters coming and going. Thoughts keeping me company as I think about my week with my adult children, with my two nights with my man.
Chilliwack in the rain induced twilight, traffic still flowing smoothly. Langley, the congestion started to build alongside the Port Mann construction, slowing traffic and challenging me to stay awake. Long day on the road, feeling as if I should just pull over and nap, I press on. By Surrey, the traffic was stop and start, giving my clutch foot a challenge and helping me stay awake for the task. The rain was subsiding, wipers on intermittent. The lights sparkled as they lit the horizon. Plans for a much bigger highway being put into place, a bridge being built for the greater volume. Vancouver may finally catch up to its potential.
Leaving the freeway, down memory lane into the city. Taking Grandview exit and driving down 12th, like the UBC days more than 25 years ago. A lifetime or longer for some of our kids. Broadway going west was no challenge, traffic flowed well. Arriving at the Holiday Inn at 6:45, I realized I had no time for a nap, so a shower would have to do. We met up with my man's colleagues for a wonderful garlic filled meal of spaghetti a la clams. Decadent dessert shared by two was a hazelnut pear shaped ice cream dipped in chocolate. Delicious and just right--the dragonfly drawn on the plate in chocolate syrup, coloured with with strawberry drizzle was just perfect, just a little note to me.
Back at the hotel, we made plans for the next couple of days and I dropped into a coma within minutes. This morning, I stayed in bed while my man went out to his meetings. Making plans for dinner, meeting my bride to be and enjoying time at a Lions Game with friends is simply wonderful and I am happy to be here.
Safe trip, wonderful sleep, satisfied with plans, I am so very grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder