Sunshine and Blessings

Crispy stuffed pork roast. Roasted potatoes nestled in beside it. Baby cauliflowers, steamed then smothered in cheese sauce. Caesar salad shared. Red wine, white wine, rhubarb crisp, plum cake. Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream.
Meals with friends. This week started out with a shared meal, one of the feast of thankfulness. The week has been somewhat of an ongoing theme in that way. From our turkey on Monday came the ingredients for today's potluck. We sent meals on with our mushroom picker men. Our social lives are just so much more encouraged over a meal shared.
"Better a meal of vegetables where there is love, than a fattened calf with hatred"
This proverb used to hang over our table when our kids were little. I think of it often. When we have friends to share our meal with, so much the better. Family sharing a meal with others, this is the stuff of life. I love to cook for people, to feed people. And I know, it is not just the body fed, but the spirit as well, when there is good conversation and deeper convictions shared.
Today, the potluck I attended at lunch time was for the 'retirement' of a man I admire. He shared a wise thought, an Arabic proverb which I will share to complete this day's post:

Throw your heart ahead of you and follow where it leads

I am grateful to have the chance at this point of my life to follow my heart. It has landed in a place I am glad to go. I have followed my heart for the last 30 years by following my man. I have followed my heart by bearing children. I have followed my heart in music. I have followed my heart into my doula work, into sharing this passion with friends new and old. And now, for the encouragement once more to follow it, I am so very grateful.

Comments

  1. I remember that quote hanging above your table!
    Many good memories involving food at your house...
    :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder