Silence and Satisfaction

A quiet household. Memories of two new daughters to grace two families. Pictures of my growing garden. Boys gone to the rodeo. Counting it all joy. Welcome, have a cup of coffee with me while I tell you tales of a wonderful week!
Last Sunday I started the day in worship, playing the piano and enjoying the retreat pictures and message from friends who went to Israel. The contemplations, thoughts of Peter who I see so much of myself in, how he needed to get it right, even though his own heart was in the right place. Sunday was a glorious day, one of our first truly hot days this year. As I contemplated all I had been taught, I prepared myself for the miracles of the week. One of my mommas had told me her body was showing signs of preparation, to meet the baby she had been taking such good care of for the nine months of growing. I was able to relax for the afternoon, reminded of the fact that preparation sometimes means waiting, wondering, hoping and being expectantly busy. I packed my bags, checked my supplies and wrote a report that was to be due this week, to get it out of my mind and off my list! I wandered out onto my deck, taking time to capture the start of our garden on film.
This year, while choosing bedding plants, I thought I would concentrate on whites, blue-purples and yellows as a nice counterpart to our house colour and to off-set the beautiful entryway our son designed and built. Aren't pansies just wonderful? They are so sunny, so cheerful!
I have planted some tiny little solar lights into our gardens this year- just enough to make them shine like pixie lights each night at dusk, lighting the way to our door. Sweet Williams provide just enough sweet scent as not to over power, but to remind me of just how lovely they are. Allergies are a bummer and several of us suffer them, so we are careful about how much scent we attract.

We look forward to a crop of tomatoes this fall as well!! Each year, there is somewhat of a competition to see whose will grow fastest, whose will put out the largest harvest, between my husband and our 12 year old. This year, our grandson got into the mix too. He helped Papa plant these fruits and lined his container up with the big guys' on the porch.

There are Sweet 100's, Tiny Tims and some Roma for a change. I will keep you posted!
In the meantime, how about I tell you about seeing God this week?
On Monday morning, my lover and I decided to buy tickets for our long awaited trip--we are going to Ireland! We have dreamed of this day for so long, wanting to make memories, to spend this time together to celebrate birthdays and completions of schooling, recovery from illness and simply realizing that someday is too far away--now is a good time! So, we have our tickets and will go for a 3 week holiday this summer to the land of our dreams. As we prepared to go for the day, the momma who was preparing for her birth decided that she was indeed on her way. So, we headed off to town, knowing that I would not come home that night, but would spend time with that momma while she laboured. We bought our tickets and shared lunch together, then I headed on my way to the Birthing Cabin that would be my home for the next couple of days. With views of mountains and thunderstorms, I was once again struck by the powerful event that birth is. Birth takes the time it needs to prepare the body for the coming event, rocking and gently stretching, opening and thinning. We spent time together talking quietly, reading, sharing joys. The labour continued gently enough.
In the evening, we were joined by another beautiful helper, ready to support this family in the journey ahead. After dinner, we went for a walk into the hills. While we walked, we talked and paused, walked and chatted, sharing and enjoying the scenery. In the distance, we all sighted an object moving very quickly through the long green field grass. The black bear moved with grace, covering huge distances with ease. We watched it lumber across the field with it's bulky muscles powering the run, made even more amazing when it became obvious that it was running on three paws. This beauty ran across the road and into the trees at the edge of another field, giving us fodder for our continuing discussion as we walked up the long road. We looked at the mountains in the distance, dreaming of trails and wildflowers, summer time discoveries ahead.
In the evening, we were blessed by witnessing the miracle of birth, of this most empowering event for all who were present. The miracle of birth cannot be taken too importantly, too strongly, without being amazed at the hand of God, of all of creation in this tiny being. Once again, I am blessed by being invited into this sacred place, this sacred family space.
While I was there, I received word that another couple I was supporting were, too, in progress. Since I was not very rested, we decided that I should go home and sleep to recharge and renew myself in preparation for supporting them. When I awoke to their message in the morning, I ate well and headed off again. Her body was taking it's time to be ready for the event ahead and, after some time spent together, she decided to watch and wait. Later on, we took a drive, had some tea and made some decisions. They went home to relax and prepare and, before you knew it, the baby was on it's way, so fast I didn't even get there to support her through it.
Once again, the power, the way women are created for this became evident and I found myself once again amazed and blessed! This design is taken for granted by most of us, without much thought or contemplation as to all the intricacies involved. We have hormones in us responsible for triggering this event without us being involved at all. We cannot think it into being, we cannot make it happen. Sure, there are hormones that are man-made that look a bit like them, but they do not work the same way and do not reach deep into the brain where our own bodies make them. We are designed so fearfully and wonderfully.
So, at the end of this amazing, powerful, exciting week, I am glad I have this day, this time to myself to meditate on His design, to give thanks for all He has done and I am grateful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder