Playoffs and TV Dinner

For the record, I don't really like TV. It is a time waster and I think I must have some Puritan roots--I have a hard time with things that waste time! I abhor sloth and laziness and embrace efficiency and hard work that shows. Saying that, I too enjoy a good movie, a good show or a good game. Tonight, we got to sit in front of the TV watching hockey and eating leftover turkey. We had a nice tray of salad fixings, lettuces and tomatoes and cucumbers along with wraps to hold them in--and of course, turkey leftovers! My dad declared that turkey is possibly even better cold than hot. Fine food, fine fellowship, fine sport!
I wrote about the pies that were cooking the other day. I just finished a piece and once again, yumm!! A nice cold dinner followed by a fine fine piece of pie. I have cake from yesterday's birthday as well, with rhubarb sauce to be poured over ice cream. This is why I hate having desserts in the house! I hear it calling to me from the counter, seducing me with it's sweet and sour flavours. Mixed with vanilla bean ice cream, it is telling me just how smooth that rhubarb can be!
My last posting was about how we celebrate. It was so nice to have my chef-girl home for her birthday. I love to feed people, to cook for family and anyone else, so this was no exception. I did a turkey dinner, but this time, instead of stuffing, I did some different vegetables. I made asparagus, something that is not usually combined with our turkey dinners, along with corn and mixed broccoli and cauliflower. Along with this, I cubed yams and apples, poured a bit of melted butter over the top and spiced it with rubbed sage, rubbed marjoram and powdered thyme. It not only smelled good as it roasted, it tasted delicious! Though I missed the stuffing, this was a really nice way to have those flavours in a healthier dish! The gravy turned out very well, too. So, after dinner, we had our family favourite, Lazy Daisy cake, with the rhubarb sauce and vanilla ice cream. Such a nice way to celebrate the change from one decade to another for my girl.
It's so nice to have my parents here. We are relaxing, reading books, visiting lots. Wandering around the few shops we have here gives us a chance to get out and enjoy our community. It has been rainy or cool since they arrived, but perhaps tomorrow we will put the rest of the bedding plants in. We have some tomato plants as well, in time for the annual race to grow tomatoes. My man and the 12 year old each plant the same kinds of tomatoes in the same kinds of planters with the same kinds of plant food and then encourage their own plants to grow bigger faster. I think this year, our grandson may join this race. Every year, without fail, the 12 year old grows the most, the fastest and tallest--and we are not sure why. Watching him out there in the rain last night, we may have a small hint--he was definitely collecting worms!
Fun, family, friends, fellowship and fantastic food--I am so grateful!

Comments

  1. Ooooh Lazy Daisy cake! Many fond memories of double-family dinners ending with a piece of that cake!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder