102--and Going Strong!

This is my 102nd blog. I am surprised, was not at all sure if I would be able to find something to say as often as I have! But here I am! Apparently, I am also missed when I don't post! It has been a couple of very busy weeks, so this 102nd might have been last weekend if I wasn't away so much!
My parents are due here any time now and in honour of that I have baked a couple of rhubarb pies. The recipe is my dad's baby sister's. The women in my dads family are very good cooks, so I know I can trust any recipe passed down. This recipe was given to me as thanks for helping in the kitchen on her wedding day about 15 years ago. I love that it is rhubarb custard AND that it has meringue--a winning combination! The added bonus is that the kitchen smells glorious! I have not made pie for a while, though I do quiche from time to time. But my dad loves pie, so I know we will all enjoy it together tonight.
My baby-girl's birthday is tomorrow, so we will start the day off with a big breakfast, either waffles or crepes adorned with fruit salad, a family favourite. I have turkey thawing and that will be our dinner together tomorrow. After our lovely shrimp curry tonight, a turkey tomorrow seems as though we are doubly blessed--but why not celebrate having family around? for the rest of the week, I am sure the turkey will show up a time or two along with other meals we enjoy together. If this rain would stop, I am sure hamburgers will be one of the day's dinner!
So, does your family have favourite meals? Are you just building some of those traditions? Do you have a birthday tradition? Food seems as though it is central to our celebrations here at home. We are celebrating the completed paperwork for my husband's Master's Degree right now, but the meals are in addition to that. So much to celebrate, so much to be thankful for, my heart is grateful.

Comments

  1. Food is central to celebrations here too! The Birthday Gal or Guy gets to pick the vittles, and the Mom (either me or Heidi) cooks it:)
    Right now a favorite for all but 2 is pansit and lumpia @ our house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder