O Canada!

I think in honour of this day, I will post in one of our national colours. I think I may be using this colour to warm myself a little as well--it is so cold! We appreciate that all of British Columbia is helping us acclimatize to the possible Irish weather.
waving Canadian flag
I really love our country! We were at a celebration this morning, here in our little town, where Canadians were taking part in the celebrations together, in equality, dancing, singing, parading and knowing that each one would be celebrated for who they were as individuals. We had a free pancake breakfast, sitting and chatting with friends and neighbours. The parade had a Bombardier on a float, firetrucks manned by volunteers, a Rodeo Queen and so much more. I know there were some who appreciated the candy being thrown the most! We listened to music, saw First Nations' dance groups and wandered around meeting other townsfolk like ourselves. 
Contemplating what I like about this country, we heard our local Regional District representative read a summary of what it is that makes this country such a great place. We have freedom: freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to worship Who and where we please. We have justice and equality: Section 6 of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms has a place where our government will provide whatever it takes for a person to find equality despite gender, race, creed, orientation or ability. We have a BEAUTIFUL land! From our windows here, we look out at one of the most stunning landscapes--and often, we seem to take it for granted! The mountains with fresh snow, the rivers, flowing to the ocean, grass and trees, wild flowers and animals in abundance. We are indeed blessed.
My grandson just came dancing by, thrilled to see the Canada flag. On this day, take some time to express gratitude for what we have, where we live and the freedoms we enjoy. I know I will, joyfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Wanderings

Christmas Eve

Wednesday's Wonder